There are many examples of beautiful places in Bedfordshire. Here are just a few examples. A great place to see it all and live is to own one of these Bedfordshire Park Homes. Go to Park Home Life to see the many options.
This city, the county seat, also has an ancient bond after the Saxons founded and fortified settlements here in 915AD. These were looted in the 11th century by Denmark. The city today enjoys an excellent place on the riverfront. John Bunyan, a city native who wrote the world-famous book ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’ after his arrest for nonconformist preaching in 1660 lived here. In many of the city’s museums, attractions and sculptures there are exhibits to him and his work. More than 200 languages have been translated from the book, making it one of the most popular published works ever.
There are still several old buildings decorated from ancient times to the Victorian period, but it is still a modern place. In 1131, the town accepted the King’s charter from King Henry I, meaning that the town has been a market town for almost a millennium. In the same year, an Augustinian monastery was founded here and was the venue for the divorce between Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon. As part of St Peter’s Church, an example of beautiful Norman architecture, an impressive priory can be found.
This is a charming city surrounded by hills stemming from the Anglo-Saxon period and possibly even more ancient origins. Its name is Anglo-Saxon, which literally means hill of ants. For such an attractive town, however, this name is not a reasonable description. In 1200, King Henry III gave the town a market charter and the market is still held there every Thursday.
The town had many royal links that started in the 1400s after the Battle of Agincourt, when a castle was built for the sister of Henry IV. After the castle became the residence of the imprisoned Catherine of Aragon, while Henry VIII went through his divorce to marry Anne Boleyn. Sadly, during the 17th century, the castle fell, but the site became the location of the magnificent home of the Ashburnham family.